Page Nav

HIDE

Pages

English Speaking Basic-JoyCode

                  English Speaking Basic           TOPICS we learn today   : Basic usage of 'I'm Variations of 'I'm in/at/...

                  English Speaking Basic 

        TOPICS we learn today :

  • Basic usage of 'I'm
  • Variations of 'I'm in/at/on
  • I'm + (verb)
  • I have + (noun)
  • I have + (past participle)
  • I would like to + (verb)
  • I've decided to + (verb)
  • I was about to + (verb)

Explanation of Topics:

1. BASIC USAGE OF 'I'm

  'I'm is an abbreviation for the word 'I AM'. It is used in combination with other words to tell someone about yourself or to describe something you are doing. You can also add descriptive words with 'I'm.

Some examples:

'I'm so tired.

'I'm confused.

'I'm very happy.

'I'm twenty-three years old.

'I'm from Seattle.

2. VARIATIONS OF 'I'm in/at/on

Describe an action you are doing.

Most commonly, you would use the word 'in' when entering a physical location such as a room or a building.

Using the word 'at' helps tell someone where you currently are. The difference between 'at' and 'in' is that the physical location is general.

Using the word 'on' is referring to a non-physical location such as your time being utilized by something else.

Some examples:

'I'm in the shower.

'I'm in the lobby.

'I'm at the mall.

'I'm at the airport.

'I'm on the phone.

'I'm on a bus.

3.'I'm + (verb)

'I'm is a construction of the words 'I am'. By adding a verb to 'I'm this lets you express an action or occurrence about yourself.

Some examples:

'I'm eating lunch.

'I'm scared.

'I'm dancing.

'I'm typing an email.

4. I have + (noun)

By using the words 'I have' you are informing someone of something you have possession of or have acquired.

You may hear the words 'cannot' and 'won't' used with 'I have'.By adding these you can express what you will not put up with or allow.

Some examples:

I have a cat.

I have a computer.

I have a headache.

I cannot have you over tonight.

I won't have anything to do with that.

5. I have + (past participle)

Again, 'I have, shows possession or something acquired. By adding a past participle you are informing someone of a past or completed action done by you.

Some examples:

I have done it.

I have heard that before.

I have seen you before.

I have written a letter.

I have driven a car.

6. I would like to + (verb)

This sentence lets someone know what you would be interested in doing. This can be a physical, mental, or verbal action.

Some examples:

I would like to answer that question.

I would like to explain myself.

I would like to practice.

I would like to meet the President.

I would like to thank you.

7. I've decided to + (verb)

I've is short for 'I have' and including the word 'decided' you are stating that you have made a decision or come to a conclusion.

Some examples:

I've decided to accept the job.

I've decided to change my bad habits.

I've decided to form a chess club.

8. I was about to + (verb)

When stating  'I was about to' you are informing someone that you are going to be doing something at that moment or in the very near future.

Some examples:

I was about to go out.

I was about to say the same thing.

I was about to send you an email.


These are the basics that will help you achieve your goal of speaking English fluently.


No comments